A C U South Midland Centre

World Champions ( Alphabetical order)

Fergus Kenrick Anderson             Nene Valley MCC             Road Racing

1953, 54 350cc World Champion

(9 February 1909 – 6 May 1956) Anderson was a two-time Grand Prix motorcycle road racing World Champion. 

A Scot, he was one of the first riders from Great Britain to make his living racing motorcycles on the European continent. In 1950 he signed with Moto Guzzi and competed in the 250cc class. He convinced Moto Guzzi to build a 350cc bike, initially of 320cc but later a proper full 350. He raced to the 1953 world championship in the bike's first year of competition. He repeated this feat as 350cc champion again in1954. His 350cc world championship wins were the first by a non-British bike.

He retired from racing to become Moto Guzzi's team manager, but quit over a dispute over having a freer hand at running the team. He returned to racing and was offered a ride by the BMW factory. He was killed in 1956 after being thrown from his bike at a race in Belgium at Floreffe.

Mike Hailwood                                Oxford Ixion                       Road Racing

1961,66,67 250cc World Champion

1966, 67 350cc World Champion

1962,63,64,65  500cc World Champion

1978 Won Formul 1 TT

(1940 - 21 March 1981) Hailwood first raced on 22 April 1957, at Oulton Park. Barely 17, he finished in 11th place, but was soon posting successful results. In 1958, he teamed with Dan Shorey to win the Thruxton 500 endurance race and finished well in four classes of TT race with one podium.

By 1961, Hailwood was racing for an up-and-coming Japanese factory named Honda. In June 1961, he became the first man in the history of the Isle of Man TT to win three races in one week when he won in the 125 cc, 250 cc and 500 cc categories. In 1962, Hailwood signed with MV Agusta and went on to become the first rider to win four consecutive 500cc World Championships. After his successes with MV Agusta, Hailwood went back to Honda and won four more world titles in 1966 and 1967 in the 250 cc and 350 cc categories.  

Hailwood is remembered for his accomplishments at the famed Isle of Man TT. By 1967, he had won 12 times on the island mountain course. He won what many historians consider to be the most dramatic Isle of Man race of all time, the 1967 Senior TT against his great rival, Giacomo Agostini. In that race he set a lap record of 108.77 mph (175.05 km/h) on the Honda RC181, that stood for the next 8 years.

Hailwood retired with 76 Grand Prix victories, 112 Grand Prix podiums, 14 Isle of Man TT wins and 9 World Championships, including 37 Grand Prix wins, 48 Grand Prix podiums, 6 Isle of Man TT wins and 4 World Championships in 500cc. He was awarded the Segrave Trophy in 1979. The FIM named him a Grand Prix "Legend" in 2000. He was inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2000 and the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2001. In 1981, part of the TT course was named Hailwood's Height in his honour.

During his car racing career, Hailwood never achieved the same level of success that he had on motorcycles. He posted respectable results in Formula One and World Sports Cars. He won the 1972 Formula Two European title and earned a podium finish at the 1969 24 Hours of Le MansHailwood participated in 50 Formula One Grands Prix, debuting in the British Grand Prix on 20 July 1963. Hailwood was recognised for his bravery when in the 1973 South African Grand Prix he went to pull Clay Regazzoni from his burning car after the two collided on the second lap of the race. Hailwood's driving suit caught fire, but after being extinguished by a fire marshal he returned to help rescue Regazzoni, an act for which he was awarded the George Medal, the 2nd highest gallantry award that a British civilian can be awarded. He left Formula One after being injured badly at the 1974 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring and retired to New Zealand. 

George O’Dell                   WMA and Barnet MCC                  Sidecar Road Racing

1977 Sidecar World Champion

George O’Dell’s TT career spanned the years 1970 –1977; in total some 14 races. His first excursion in 1970 was one of mixed fortunes, starting with a retirement in the 750cc race and finishing 36th in the 500cc race. Missing in 1971, the Hemel Hempstead driver rode in both sidecar races from ’72 onwards with varying degrees of success. Runner-up in the 500cc class in 1974 he was totally out of luck throughout 1975 & 1976. In 1977 the two separate class races were combined into ‘two-legs’ with an overall winner based on the aggregate time of the finishers. George and passenger, Kenny Arthur unofficially set the first 100mph sidecar lap in practice, although Dick Greasley set the official one in the first race at 100.59 mph. Even so, it was to be O’Dell and Arthur’s race as they took the chequered flag by 50 seconds as they raised the lap record to 102.80 mph. Retirement in the second race prevented them from taking overall victory. O’Dell was to go on to become the first Briton to win the Sidecar championship since Eric Oliver, some 24 years earlier. A crash in practice for the 1978 TT, resulting in a broken leg meant he was a non-starter and did not return to the Island. At the beginning of 1981 he was advised to retire from racing – in March of that year he died in a house fire, aged 35.

Thomas "Tommy" Price                Wembley                            Speedway

1949 Individual World Speedway Champion

( 2 December 1911 Cambridge- died 1998) was an international Speedway rider. In 1949 he won the first Speedway World Championship to be held after the Second World War.

Price started his career with the Wembley Lions in 1935 after only a handful of appearances for Harringay Reserves in the previous season. In 1936 he was loaned out to Cardiff and Nottingham. Within three years he had qualified for his first World Final.

After the war, Price rejoined the Lions and spent a further eleven seasons at the club until he retired in 1956. During that he was a member of the teams that won the National League Championship seven times, and the National Trophy twice. Price was selected to ride for England in the Ashes series against Australia, but never toured overseas during the winter.

Following his retirement, Tommy opened a small engineering workshop in Wembley, North London where he was able to produce small quantities of specialist items for riders. Often these would have been economically non-viable for larger companies and Tommy was seen as a saviour by many a 'Rocker' of the day. Speedway faced a crisis at the end of the 1963 season when Southampton closed, due to the stadium being sold for redevelopment. Realising that the then senior National League could not continue to operate with just 6 teams, Lord Shawcross was appointed to lead an enquiry into the running of the sport. It was decided amongst senior promoters that a seventh team was vital to the continuance of the sport at a senior level, and it was decided that West Ham was ripe for a re-opening. After lengthy discussions and a large cash injection funded by the promoters of other National League teams, West Ham reopened after 9 years with Tommy Price at the helm as both promoter and team manager. Price continued in the role until the end of the 1965 season when he led West Ham to a unique treble, winning the British League, the KO Cup and the London Cup.

Phillip William Read      Leicester Query and Stevenage DMCC   Road Racing

1968       125cc World Champion

1964,65,68,71 250cc World Champion

1973,74 500cc World Champion

( 1 January 1939 in Luton, England) Grand Prix motorcycle road racer nicknamed "The Prince of Speed." Although he would often be overshadowed by his contemporary, Mike Hailwood, he would become the first man to win world championships in the 125cc, 250cc and 500cc classes.                      

He started amateur short-circuit racing in 1958 on a Duke BSA Gold Star. In 1960 he won the Junior Manx Grand Prix on a Manx Norton at record speed followed by the Junior (350cc) TT race in 1961. He placed second in the 350cc and 500cc races at the 1961 North West 200 in Northern Ireland on Manx Nortons

He was a two-time winner of the Thruxton 500 endurance race in 1962 and 1963 riding Syd Lawton's Norton Dominator 650SS machines.

During the mid-1960s Yamaha had prolific riders in Read, Canadian Mike Duff and later Bill Ivy. In1964, Read gave Yamaha their first world title when he won the 250cc class. He would repeat as champion the following year. In 1967 he would battle Hailwood on his six-cylinder Honda all the way to the final round. They would end up tied but, Hailwood took the crown due to having five wins to Read's four.

The 1968 season proved to be controversial for Read. The Yamaha factory had wanted Read to concentrate on winning the 125cc title and team-mate Bill Ivy to take the 250cc crown. After winning the 125cc championship, Read decided to disobey team orders and fight Ivy for the 250cc title. They finished the season tied in the points and Read was awarded the championship based on elapsed times. It was a costly decision as Yamaha would never offer him another ride.

After sitting out most of the 1969 and 1970 seasons when the major Japanese factories all withdrew from Grand Prix racing, Read returned in1971 on an Eric Cheney-modified, privateer Yamaha with no factory support. On this bike he was able to claim his fifth world championship.

In 1972 Read was given a ride with the MV Agusta team and in 1973, he took the 500cc title, the first World Championship won using Lockheed disc brakes. He successfully defended his crown in 1974 in what would be the last world championship for the legendary Italian marque. It would also be the last time a four-stroke machine would win a title until the advent of the Moto GP class in 2002.

On the MV he gave Agostini's Yamaha a strong fight for the 1975 500cc championship but finished in second place. Realizing the writing was on the wall for four-stroke machinery, he left the Italian company to campaign a privateer Suzuki in the 1976 season after which he retired from Grand Prix racing.

Read entered TT events from 1977, winning the F1 (Formula 1) race on the works Honda CB750 SOHC and Senior race on a Suzuki. Again on the Honda for 1978 F1, he recorded a DNF but was placed 4th in the Classic.

His last race was at the Isle of Man TT in 1982 at the age of 43. The FIM named him a Grand Prix "Legend" in 2002.

Simon Wigg                                                       Speedway, Grass Track, Long Track

1985,89,90,93,94 World Long Track Champion

1981 A-CU British 500cc Grass Track Champion

1982,89,90 A-CU British Masters Champion

1988, 89 British Speedway Champion

1989 World Team Cup Champions ( Captain)

(15 October 1960 – 15 November 2000) was a speedway, grass track and Long track rider who, uniquely, finished runner-up to his team mate at Oxford, Hans Nielsen,  in the Speedway World Championship in 1989.

Simon was born in Aylesbury, England. 1988 saw him become British Speedway Champion and he retained the title the following year. 1989 also saw Simon Captain the Great Britain speedway team when they won the World Team Cup. During his career, Simon was a frequent visitor to Australia and always enjoyed success on the larger Showground tracks down under such as the 450 metres (490 yds) Brisbane Exhibition Ground, the 510 metres (560 yd) Wayville Showground in Adelaide, the 550 metres (600 yds) Claremont Speedway in Perth, and the 610 metres (670 yd) Melbourne Showground’s. He always maintained that his success in Australia was in part due to these larger tracks which suited his Long track style of riding.

During his time riding in Australia and New Zealand, Wigg won the Australian Long track Grand Prix in 1990, 1994 and 1995, as well as the New Zealand Long track Grand Prix in 1994.

He joined his first speedway club Weymouth Wildcats which was just the start of his professional career as a Speedway Rider, and which supplemented his Grass and Long track career .

In 1982, Wigg won the British League Division Two Pairs Championship with Martin Yeates. He became the second British Individual Speedway Long Track World Champion in 1985 (Michael Lee was the first in 1981) and went on to win the title a further four times. He was the most successful British Grasstrack and Longtrack rider ever. When Wigg was riding in Oxford, England he met his wife to be, Charlie, and after a few years together, had two children.

Wigg was also famous for his bright green leathers and bikes, as well as pulling wheelies when he had a comfortable lead in a race.

The South Midland Centre A-CU

Bowring Trophy Winners

The Bowring Trophy is awarded annually to the highest placed A-CU Licence Holder and South Midland resident in an A-CU British Championship. We are fortunate to have several winners most years, and we congratulate them and list them below. If you know of someone I have missed please let us know. Terry Golds, Centre Secretary 



ACU Normandale Traditional Trials Championship  Class A Billy Bishop
                                                                                             Class D Chris Koch

British 350cc Grass Track Champion                            Harland Cook

British Under 16 Speedway Champion                        Luke Harris



ACU Normandale Traditional Trials Championship  Class C Chris Koch

A-CU Sammy Miller Trials Championship               Pre 70       Tim Blackmore

A-CU AJP Ultra Passar Trail Bike Championship                    Chris Koch

A-CU Sidecar Enduro Clubman’s Champions                          Dan Lawry & Jamie Mitchell

British 250cc Grass Track Champion                            Harland Cook

A-CU Speedway StarBritish 1000cc Sidecar Masters Champion  Mark Cossar & Carl Blyth

British Youth Grass Track Intermediate Champion                  Luke Harris



ACU Normandale Traditional Trials Championship Class E    Tim Blackmore

A-CU Sammy Miller Trials Championship               Pre 70       Tim Blackmore

British 250cc Grass Track Champion                            Harland Cook

A-CU British 1000cc Sidecar Master Champion          Mark Cossar/Carl Blythe

Clubman Sidecar Champion                                          Jamie Howe passenger